What Makes Your Business Unique?
Let’s hear your elevator pitch.
What are your core differentiators?
Why should I work with you and not your competitor?
What makes your business different?
In EOS® (the Entrepreneurial Operating System), we call it your company’s 3 Uniques™.
Your uniques are what makes your company special. They highlight you in the marketplace and appeal directly to your Target Market™—the clients or customers your business was built to serve.
Having clear differentiators helps you to:
- Find your “blue ocean” customer or client base
- Increase market share
- Scale your business when you’re ready
If you’ve struggled to define what makes your company unique, you’re not alone. I’ve worked with many entrepreneurs whose uniques sound great, until I ask them, “Can your competitors say the same thing?”
If the answer is yes, it’s not actually a unique.
Your 3 Uniques
There are two approaches you can take to your 3 Uniques: the "new and different" approach and the "synergy" approach.
New and Different Uniques
A company with new and different uniques provides an experience that’s distinct from what your competitors offer. If you’ve got a Proven Process, it’s usually one of your 3 Uniques.
Example: Apple has “new and different” uniques. You just have to look at their products to know they’re not doing things the way other tech companies are. Apple doesn’t have uniques on its site, but here’s my consumer perspective on what makes them distinct:
- Easy to use. The one-button interface on the iPhone or iPad.
- Closed operating system. Apple retains full control over its software rather than open-sourcing it.
- Simple but sophisticated design. Apple products are as much elegant design pieces as they are technology.
If your uniques are pretty basic, which is the case for many commodity businesses, you can use the synergy approach: the whole is greater than the sum of its parts. Your competitors may be able to match or even beat one or two of your uniques, but none of them can consistently deliver all three.
Example: Amazon has “synergy” uniques. It’s a commodity business with a lot of competition. Here’s, again, my consumer perspective on what makes them distinct:
- Big selection. Amazon doesn’t carry everything--but it carries almost everything.
- Low prices. Their prices are usually the lowest or almost the lowest you can find, and let’s be honest, are you really taking the time to look anywhere else?
- Fast delivery. Their 2-day delivery for Prime members meets or exceeds competitor shipping times.
If you need help figuring out your 3 Uniques, let me know. We’ll connect you with a team member who can help uncover what makes your business different.